PC file iOS interfacing

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by cril, Mar 2, 2016.

1. cril

cril Newbie

Hi I am trying to create an app which will provide my customers with a small portable version of the PC database that they use from me. I can create a csv file from the PC database and read it from the database. I want my app to copy the data in the csv file for my users to use while out and about and be able to download updated info as a csv file for the database to read. I don't want to use iTunes to exchange files and have seen apps which can access PC files. Does anyone know how it is done/where I would find out how to do it. Thanks.

2. boomstick

boomstick Super Moderator Staff Member

You basically can store the CSV contents in a database like sqlite or Core Data and allow the app to read the contents and display it. However with this approach you will need to update the app every time a new version is ready. You could just create a database like MySQL on a web server and poll it using the app. This way the users can always get the latest version. Let me know if this helps.

3. cril

cril Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how that would be implemented but I'm looking for a solution which doesn't require Internet or wifi access nor any technical capacity on the part of the user. I'm trying to have the scenario that the user presses the export button on their database, plugs the iPhone in and presses import in the app and goes about their data collecting business. They then return, plug iPhone in and press export in the app then import in their database. Simples for the user but devilish for me I suspect! Could you tell me if I've misunderstood something in your reply please.

4. gboxmxfr

gboxmxfr Newbie

MySQL is the best!

5. damponting44

damponting44 Banned

You fundamentally can store the CSV substance in a database like sqlite or Core Data and permit the application to peruse the substance and show it. However with this approach you should upgrade the application each time another variant is prepared. You could simply make a database like MySQL on a web server and survey it utilizing the application. Along these lines the clients can simply get the most recent adaptation. Fill me in as to whether this makes a difference.

6. Magdalena

Magdalena Newbie