Can iOS development be done on a virtual machine?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by DevOp, Nov 18, 2015.

1. DevOp

DevOp Newbie

Is it possible and legal to develop an application on a Windows PC with a virtual machine that has an OS X image on it, and pay only when needing to deploy the application to the app store?
    If it is possible and legal, what exactly should I install on my PC regarding the virtual machine and image, and where can I download them from?

2. Installing a virtual PC application with Mac OS X

Since XCode only runs on Mac OS X, you’ll need to be able to simulate an installation of Mac OS X on Windows. This is surprisingly easy to do with virtualization software like VMWare or open source alternative VirtualBox.

For the purpose of this guide, we’ll be using VirtualBox. If you use a different virtual computer application, the process is much the same. Since VirtualBox is open source and free to use, it’s worth downloading it if you don’t already have a copy installed.

if Looking forward to iOS Application Development contact us @addonsolutions

3. DevOp

DevOp Newbie

OK so where is that guide you wrote about?

4. Adarkas

Adarkas Newbie

Hey DevOp,

i tried that my self once, but i could not get it to work on either virtual box oder VM Ware. My problem was that the architecture of the CPU was not compatible.
    I can't remember with architecture you need, but google might help you there.

Greetings Adarkas

5. damponting44

damponting44 Banned

It is possible. But with some restrictions. I used a program called VMWare. But you PC has to support Hardware Virtualization. Not that hard.

6. To successfully emulate a Mac using a Windows PC, you’ll need the following:
    • A Dual Core Intel processor
    • At least 2GB of RAM (4GB+ recommended)
    • Hardware Virtualization