App Monetization

Discussion in 'App Marketing & Promotion' started by Aleta, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Aleta

Aleta Newbie

Hi,

I'm interested in finding out about App monetization. It would be great to hear about preferred strategies, what people are looking forward in terms to App monetizaiton and what they are struggling with.

2. Veronica

Veronica Newbie

I noticed there are quite a few questions, (but not many responses) about app monetization. I can openly say that I work for a cross-promotion platform for app devs and publishers and we help them monetize their apps.
    One way/strategy to monetize (and the one that I'm most familiar with), is in-app advertising. I know ads/pop-up banners and constant interstitials are commonly viewed as distracting, and well.. simply annoying. However, it can work for your advantage when you first identify and then adjust combination of ad formats that work best for you, and also for your users.

Here is interesting article that talks more about how to maximise app revenue:
    http://appflood.com/blog/mobile-ecpm-increase-ios-android-revenue-2

Other than that it's all about spreading the word about an app: promote it within communities, exchange reviews, interact with your players, social networking etc. Sorry I can't answer from the developer's side directly but I hope it helps.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  3. Oles Dzyub

Oles Dzyub Newbie

Hi! Looks like you asked this a while ago, but maybe my response will help somebody.
    We recently posted an article on app monetization, and researched ComboApp case studies:

Here are the Top 3 App Monetization Models from ComboApp:

Choose Advertising and Freemium if your app is targeted to a general audience and you don’t have enough expertise to set up more complicated monetization schemes. These two models are the most universal, appeal to a wide user base, and can provide stable revenue streams.

1. Advertising
    With advertising monetization, the main secret lies in achieving balance between user experience and revenue goals. Standard banners and interstitials will generate more revenue, but they will also distract users. Native-looking ads are more user-friendly, less disruptive, and can be blended into an app’s content.

2. Freemium

This model works well in high-volume markets where a large amount of users can be acquired. Users are attracted by an app’s features, functionality, or content and will then pay for additional tools or premium features. The main advantage of Freemium is that it can be adapted to any vertical and align with any user base. App owners can sell additional time, content, an ad-free version, upgrades, etc.

3. Subscription

Subscription is ideal for apps that focus on providing services. When users get hooked on content or features, they will become a source of recurring revenue for an app owner. The app should continuously provide value for users to continue their subscription. It’s important to determine the right time and place for setting up a paid limit inside of an app (i.e. what part of the app’s content/feature should remain free and attract potential users?). The subscription model is based on loyalty and engagement and requires expertise in user acquisition.

4. Samverma

Samverma Newbie

The start monetizing your app using mobile ads is to check good or bad reviews on traditional ad networks like Ad Mob, Affle, Millenial, etc. After that banners and other advertising tools also can be used to monetize mobile apps. So every app would be different hence monetization practices do change depending upon the app category, target users, location etc.
    Affle is the most used monetization platform for mobile apps and assets. Advanced and interactive ad formats with contextual ad targeting provides optimal UX. Available for platforms like android, iOS, and mobile web.

5. Hi Aleta

My company just released a platform called Player XP. (Which is free). You can go through every game on the IOS store and see how app monetization is being done on those mobile games and how successful they are.

Our CIO also did a blog about monetization. "When is 'Pay to win' too much?"

Hope this helps.

6. April

April Level 1 Regular Member

In addition to these methods, I will share you some different ways to you:

(1) find the targeted audiences: you should find the potential audiences of your app, and introduce your app with them and cooperate with them, for the service that they need is just your app can provide. Find the right development direction of your app is the first step to success.

(2) time-limited installs: you can create a advertisement to show that your app will be installed free with limited time, the audiences would to download your app in time for they are curious about what kind of app is so popular to average people.

(3) IAP: it is an effective method to incentive users to payment. Audience would like to spend their money on something that they are interested in, so you can set some value levels and equipment in your app to attract users' interests.

(4) integral wall: you can make use of the integral wall to advertise your app, which is an indirect way to popularize your app and get more app installs.

7. daviliars

daviliars Newbie

thank you to all of you i was need this information.

8. April

April Level 1 Regular Member